KMTA Performance Competitions – INSTRUMENTAL DIVISION
As an incentive for student growth, the Kitsap Music Teachers Association awards cash prizes to students who demonstrate outstanding achievement in performance during independently judged competitions.
WHEN: Saturday, March 2023 (in conjunction with the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition)
WHERE: Gateway Fellowship, Poulsbo, WA
WHO: Students who are currently studying with a teacher who resides or teaches in Kitsap County, or is a member of KMTA, are eligible to compete.
- The Elementary Level is limited to 5 students per teacher. There is no limit to the number of Junior, High School or Senior entrants from each studio.
- A student who has won 1st place may not compete in the same division, but may compete again when they age into the next division.
HOW: The KMTA Performance Competition is decided by an impartial judge from outside the Kitsap Chapter of the Music Teachers Association, and is held in conjunction with the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition.
- Students who also meet the eligibility requirements for the WSMTA State Recitalist Competition have the option to have their performance considered for one or both competitions by selecting accordingly on the Registration form.
Elementary (3rd – 5th grade): 1st Place $50; 2nd Place $40; 3rd Place $30
Junior (6th – 8th grade): 1st Place $100; 2nd Place $75; 3rd Place $50
High School (9th-11th Grade): 1st Place $300; 2nd Place $200; 3rd Place $100
High School (12th grade): 1st Place $600; 2nd Place $500; 3rd Place $400
(Note: First place winners may not compete in the same division level in subsequent years)
- Students must perform one selection of music from any one of the standard periods of music (baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, contemporary).
- Performance time is limited to 5 minutes. Cuts are allowed in order to meet the 5 minute limit.
- Multiple selections are permitted for dance suites, variations or prelude and fugue, time permitting.
- Some transcriptions may be allowed.
- Memorization is required for the KMTA Performance Competition.
- Students MAY be asked to provide a legal score for the judge.
- Students who provide an unlicensed photocopy of the score will be disqualified from winning any prize.
- Students are required to provide their own, live accompanist.
JUDGING and RESULTS
- KMTA Performance Competitions are decided by impartial judges from outside the Kitsap Chapter of the Music Teachers Association.
- The judge’s decisions are final. Any questions should be directed to the KMTA Competition Chair.
- Winners and ranked alternates will be announced by April 2023 (TBA)